Thursday, December 3, 2009

Best Movie of the [Time Period], or, The Fantastic Mr Fox

Exceptional. Just plain exceptional. Best use of my night, for sure.


The animation, the story, the dialogue, the characters riddled with depth and believability despite their, well, obvious problem of being-drawn-images-of-animals-dressed-in-human-clothing, combine to make The Fantastic Mr Fox one of the best films I've seen this year.

Perhaps my favorite scene in the film included this bit of dialogue.

Mr. Fox: I'm trying to tell you the truth about myself.
Mrs. Fox: I don't care about the truth about yourself.

And if you see the movie the fact that this is my favorite line does not make it seem like I'm a bitter, crotchety bachelor with misogynistic views of the problems in relationships. Or just stupid. Or just a hopeless romantic. If you see the movie (which you should), you will simply be forced to agree with me that these lines are a really beautiful and clever use of words, and are but one great moment in an exceptional film.

Just plain exceptional.

1 comment:

Ranteumptom said...

I'm pretty sure "I don't know your Latin name. I don't think they had opossums in Ancient Rome." was better. Or maybe "If you're doing what I think you're doing - you better not be."